Pairing GLO with Android device
To pair and use the Garmin GLO with an Android device, please follow these steps:
Download and Install Bluetooth GPS from the Google Play Store. (Bluetooth GPS is a third-party application and is not affiliated with Garmin.)
Make sure the GLO is turned on:
- On your Android device, touch "Settings".
- Touch "Bluetooth".
- Under "Devices", locate the GLO and touch to pair.
Once the GLO is paired, locate the Bluetooth GPS app and launch.
- Touch the box to "Enable Mock GPS Provider" box within the app. Note: You may be taken to an Android settings page with an option to "Allow mock locations". If so, touch to check this option and then press the back button on the phone.
- From within the Bluetooth GPS app, press menu (location may vary), then "Settings".
- Under "Service Settings", Touch the "Reconnect" check box
- Under "Connection Problems Related", touch the check box for "Use Insecure Connection".
- Press the "Back" button on your Android device.
- From the home screen of the Bluetooth GPS app, touch the "Connect" button to the right of the Garmin GLO. If you see data filling up the fields below, then everything is working properly.
To test further and ensure that GPS data is being received, touch the "Status" and "Map" tabs at the top of the application.
- Status: Displays satellite information.
- Map: Displays your location on a map.
At this point, the Bluetooth GPS application can be closed and location information should be obtained in other apps.
- Once connected to the Garmin GLO, you can completely disable the internal GPS receiver of your Android device. You can change this in the settings on your phone. The exact steps may vary by phone:
Open "Settings" on your Android device.
Locate your option for "Location", "Privacy and Security" or something similar.
Most phones will have 3 options - use GPS and networks, networks only and GPS only. Select the option for network only . This will effectively disable the GPS on the phone.
- For your convenience, a widget (miniature version of an app) for the Bluetooth GPS application can be added to the home screen of your Android device. This would allow you to quickly enable or disable the Bluetooth GPS connection without having to open the application completely.
- Other third-party bluetooth GPS applications, such as the Bluetooth GPS Provider application, can be used as an alternative if needed. However, not every third-party bluetooth GPS application will work properly for the Garmin GLO.
- Garmin is not affiliated with third-party applications such as the Bluetooth GPS app. It is important to contact the proper developer if you experience any issues installing or using their applications.